Committee for Inclusion and Equity
The College of Science and Mathematics Committee for Inclusion and Equity was formed in spring quarter 2018. The information on this website provides an overview of the strategic direction the committee has identified to help us work collectively and collaboratively to ensure that we are creating an environment in which all members of the college community can be successful.
The College of Science and Mathematics strives to empower all students, faculty, and staff to succeed in a diverse and inclusive community that values respect, equity and social justice.
Our mission is to create an inclusive and equitable college culture by addressing policies and practices that are barriers to success
We embrace the following IDEAS as we establish pathways of success for all members of our Cal Poly community.
The active, intentional, and ongoing engagement with diversity.
The condition of having or being composed of differing elements, especially the inclusion of different types of people in a group or organization.
Equity and Empathy
Equity: freedom from bias or favoritism; Empathy: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another.
- Personal Growth
Permission, liberty, or ability to enter, approach, or pass to and from a place or to approach or communicate with a person or thing.
A state or doctrine of egalitarianism.
- Institutional Improvement
- Ensure that all members of the college community are educated and informed of our IDEAS
- Ensure that CSM has policies and procedures that facilitate equity and inclusion.
- Develop a culturally inclusive and responsive curriculum.
- Build a college community that is representative of the population of the state of California.
- Connect and collaborate with university-wide groups, programs, initiatives or offices committed to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Provide guidance and resources to promote culturally inclusive and responsive pedagogy.
- Identify, mitigate and remove implicit and explicit barriers to success.
Here you can download a copy of our COSAM and Campus Resource Guide with live links to the most current resources available on campus. (Last updated 12/13/18)
Current Members of the Committee
|Camille O'Bryant||COSAM Dean's Office|
|Tammy Campbell||Chemistry & Biochemistry Department|
|Javin Oza||Chemistry & Biochemistry Department|
|Ashley McDonald||Chemistry & Biochemistry Department|
|Sandi Clement||Biological Sciences Department|
|Jimmy Doi||Statistics Department|
|Steve Rein||Statistics Department|
|Meghan Farrier Nolan||COSAM Advising Center|
|Mark Stankus||Mathematics Department|
|David Mitchell||Physics Department|
|Colleen Marlow||Physics Department|
|Oscar Navarro||School of Education|
|Alice Tomasini||School of Education|
|Christine Hackman||Kinesiology and Public Health Department|
|Rosemary Wrenn||School of Education|
|Dean Wendt||COSAM Dean's Office|